At Least 2 Dead In Shooting Rampage In Banning, Suspect In Custody | us news

At Least 2 Dead In Shooting Rampage In Banning, Suspect In Custody

27 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

1 dead, 1 arrested in apparently random shootings in Banning.

Police spoke at a 5 p.m. press conference. BANNING, Calif. (AP) — A man was arrested Saturday on suspicion of going on a violent spree in the Southern California city of Banning that left at least one person dead and three others injured, police said.

People in Banning and next-door Beaumont tried to make sense Saturday evening after a day of random carnage that left two people dead, others injured and a suspect in custody. CBS2’s Laurie Perez was at that news conference where police said they were dealing “with 4-5 different crime scenes.” Authorities said they were still trying to gather information about the randomness of the attacks or if the victims were specifically targeted. The attack, which occurred within a span of an hour on Saturday, appears to be random, and investigators are trying to determine a motive, Police Chief Alex Diaz said. The incidents began about 11:30 a.m. with a shooting near John Street and Hargrave Avenue in Banning, followed by a non-fatal shooting, an assault at a gas station and the discovery of a man with gunshot wounds in a crashed car.

When police arrived at that location, the 700 block of John Street, they found a deceased man and a wounded female passenger. “He just came out of nowhere and started beating him up,” the employee said, “my co-workers were scared. By late Saturday afternoon, the communities were marked by islands of yellow police tape filled with detectives, uniformed officers and forensic investigators. Johnny Fultz, 37, and his wife Jessica, 27, were taking a walk downtown with their 2-year-old son Johnny and 1-month-old daughter Jordana on Saturday night.

Jessica said they had heard some activity with police cars racing around town and news helicopters flying overhead but only discovered what the commotion was about after going online before going out for their walk. In Beaumont, Paul Mendoza had just come home from shopping when he and his daughter, Lilly, 10, noticed something strange in front their house on Eighth Street. About an hour after police announced that a suspect had been caught, tensions rose again when police received reports that someone with a gun was threatening customers at an Arco gas station convenience store along the freeway in Banning.

Next, someone matching that description shot at a car at 11:43 a.m. at San Gorgonio Avenue and Nicolet Street, about a mile west and north from the first scene. Police do not believe he was involved in the earlier violence, Diaz said; the suspect’s vehicle was smaller than the one police believe belonged to the shooter. In the neighborhood at John and Hargrave Streets, where the first fatal shooting took place, neighbors gathered in small knots to discuss what happened. Some expressed dismay at how many versions of the story there were, with the incident only a few hours and one block away from where they were standing.

While juggling the first two crime scenes, Banning police were called to the ARCO AM/PM station on Ramsey Street at about noon, where a man had used a gun to repeatedly bludgeon another man. Video surveillance footage from the gas station confirmed that the person who attacked the man at the gas station fit the description of the shooter from the earlier incidents. A man in the vehicle was dead, but Diaz said that because of the damage caused by the crash investigators have yet to determine if the man died as a result of the crash or from a gunshot. The shooting on John Street that killed one man and injured another was just east of Hargrave Street and south of I-10, across from a double set of railroad tracks that parallel the freeway.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site