Baltimore police hand results of Freddie Gray probe over to state, offer few details

30 Apr 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Baltimore police give prosecutors probe into Gray’s death.

Much is still unknown about the death of Freddie Gray. And from this point on, we will take all directions from the state attorney, because it is now their case.” Gray, 25, died of spinal injuries apparently suffered during his arrest or soon after. On Wednesday the Washington Post reported a new, somewhat curious strand of evidence on what might have happened between Gray’s arrest and his arrival at the hospital.

Gray died with 80 percent of his spine severed at the neck, lawyers for his family say, portraying him as just the latest young African American to die at the hands of the police. In August, a white policeman shot dead a black teenager in the St Louis suburb of Ferguson, triggering demonstrations in major US cities from Los Angeles to New York that were repeated when a grand jury declined to indict the officer.

Baltimore Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said the investigation into Gray’s death had revealed some new findings, including that the police wagon he was traveling in had made an additional stop, though he did not elaborate on the significance of this. The Post was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety.

The prosecutor has not given a timeline for when she will decide on whether to charge the six officers who have been suspended during the investigation of Gray’s death. The idea of Gray intentionally trying to injure himself seems ludicrous at best and, more cynically, self-serving for a police force that just had a young man die under its supervision. Not to mention, as the Post points out, the passenger who provided the account could not see Gray at the time, making it difficult to ascribe intent to whatever he heard going on. The police report on the arrest said Gray was detained “without force or incident” and he was injured “during transport.” The Baltimore police have said they do not yet know when or how Gray’s injuries occurred. “A lawyer representing police officers involved said that Gray was injured inside the van, and there’s been speculation that Gray was intentionally injured by an unrestrained ‘rough ride,’ ” the Slatest’s Ben Mathis-Lilly wrote earlier today. “But both videos—and witness reports that Gray was struck and ‘bent up’ by the officers who arrested him—seem to suggest the possibility that he was injured before being put into the van.”

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, are investigating burglaries of a discount store and a cellphone business near where protesters took to the streets for a second night. Several dozen people marched down Ferguson’s West Florissant Avenue on Wednesday night to protest the recent death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray while he was in Baltimore police custody. The demonstrators also referenced last summer’s fatal shooting by a white Ferguson police officer of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was black and unarmed. A Ferguson Police Department spokesman says three people were shot during protests Tuesday night and four police cars were damaged by rocks and chunks of asphalt thrown by demonstrators. Dozens of police officers moved in with plastic handcuffs and began making arrests while officers with batons pushed the crowd back onto the sidewalk.

Civic leaders declared victory when the intersection at North and Pennsylvania avenues had been cleared of all but a few stragglers 15 minutes after the beginning of Baltimore’s curfew. “We are very proud of what has happened here tonight.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site