Baltimore Unrest Sparks Nationwide Marches, Rallies

30 Apr 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Baltimore death sparks protests in New York, Boston.

NEW YORK (AP) — More than 100 people were arrested in New York City during a rally and march to protest the death of a Baltimore man critically injured in police custody. BALTIMORE — Thousands of people demonstrated in US East Coast cities on Wednesday demanding equal treatment for all by police, after a young African American died of injuries sustained in custody in Baltimore. The biggest show of people power was in Baltimore itself — epicenter of the latest racially tinged unrest to convulse the US — where several thousand mostly young demonstrators paralysed city blocks in a major rally through downtown to City Hall. Late Wednesday, The Washington Post reported that it had obtained a sealed police report, written by police, in which the second prisoner in the van purportedly said he could hear Gray “banging against the walls,” leading the unidentified prisoner to conclude Gray “was intentionally trying to injure himself.” The prisoner was in a different cell in the van and couldn’t see Gray.

Dozens of police officers moved in with plastic handcuffs and began making arrests while officers with batons pushed the crowd back onto the sidewalk A group of several hundredpeople had gathered in Union Square before starting off to march in different directions, picking up more demonstrators along the way and growing to more than 1,000 in number, according to NBC New York. On Friday, the Baltimore Police Department is turning over to state prosecutors the results of its internal investigation into Brown’s death, though the findings won’t be made public immediately. Denver Police Department said it used pepper spray and that eight men and three women were detained for offences including “resisting police, disobedience to lawful orders, obstructing roadways, and interference.” Nikea Ramsey, whose brother was shot and killed in an encounter with Boston police in 2012, told The Associated Press that: “Me and my family, we stand with Baltimore.

Plenty of people are skeptical about this leak. “We disagree with any implication that Freddie Gray severed his own spinal cord,” Gray family lawyer Jason Downs told The Post. “We question the accuracy of the police reports we’ve seen thus far, including the police report that says Mr. What appears to be a growing movement for change was focused on Baltimore, where a rally that started at the main train station included black and white demonstrators, some of them linking arms and chanting: “No justice, no peace!

No racists, no peace!” Many in the march were high school or college students. “We’re protesting (against) the ongoing injustices that police have perpetrated on black men particularly. She said that Gray was not put in a seatbelt because, despite his being handcuffed, “he still has his teeth and he still has his saliva,” the police “didn’t want to reach over him.” Peter Weber The 2,000 National Guard personnel who have flooded Baltimore this week kept a low profile and only small knots of demonstrators remained on the streets when a curfew swept into effect for a second night from 2am GMT to 9am GMT on Thursday.

And a specially extended deadline for holding people without charge was expiring, so people had to be let go, Capt Eric Kowalczyk said, according to the Sun. The calm in Baltimore, for the second night running, was a far cry from the violence and looting which flared up there following the funeral of Freddie Gray on Monday.

Meanwhile, dozens of people arrested in earlier violent demonstrations in Baltimore were being released early Wednesday evening because police were unable to complete their paperwork in time, the state public defender’s office said. The releases were the result of a logjam for police who were scrambling to pull the necessary paperwork to file charges at the same time they were trying to keep peace on the city’s streets, Kowalczyk said. We’re not giving up on them.” Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, protesters planned Thursday afternoon to conduct a “Philly is Baltimore” demonstration at city hall. In August, a white policeman shot dead a black teenager in the St Louis suburb of Ferguson, triggering demonstrations in major US cities from Los Angeles to New York that were repeated when a grand jury declined to indict the officer.

The district attorney is not pressing charges, saying evidence indicates that Tate-Brown was reaching into his car for a loaded pistol, but a lawsuit filed Tuesday alleges that officers planted the gun. Maryland state governor Larry Hogan said he had been “very encouraged” by the previous 24 hours and said a semblance of normality was returning to Baltimore, a gritty city of 620,000 less than an hour’s drive from Washington. The large march initially met no resistance from police, but that swiftly changed as officers — who were deployed in significant numbers — moved in and made arrests. In Washington, there was a festive atmosphere as a well-organised march that peaked at about 1,000 ended at the White House, where protesters chanted and held signs reading: “Stop racist police terror.” Among the many startling images to emerge from Baltimore was that of an infuriated mother hitting her teenage son repeatedly for joining the demonstrations on Monday and dragging him away.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site