California detective who said he’d take bullet speaks out

9 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

California detective who said he’d take bullet speaks out.

The only officer shot in the gunfight that killed the husband and wife behind the San Bernardino shootings says he’s a former Marine who was determined to keep fighting even after he took the bullet. SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — A sheriff’s detective who won praise for his bold shepherding of frightened people out of the Southern California building where a couple opened fire last week shrugged off his heroism and newfound celebrity, saying he was only doing what was necessary and that the sight of a terrified child had inspired him. “Try to relax everyone, try to relax, I’ll take a bullet before you do, that’s for damn sure,” Det. Jorge Lozano said in a video captured in the hallway of the Inland Regional Center as he escorted employees and others who had been stranded in a hallway as the shootings went on in a conference room. “When they were passing me there was a female there with a small child that was just terrified, shivering almost, shaking like a leaf, and I said what I said.

The social service center in San Bernardino where husband Syed Rizwan Farook and wife Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people will not reopen until next year, raising concerns that some of the 30,000 people with developmental disabilities it serves might not receive needed treatment. He said he had been scared himself when someone opened a door without announcing themselves, but knew the people he was responsible for were relying on him for comfort and calm, so he provided it. But she could not say for sure that no one would go without care. “In our particular case, we don’t have anything that’s time-sensitive, I’m not in the middle of requesting service or authorization for a vendor,” said Jess Block Nerren, whose 10-year-old son receives treatment for autism. “But depending upon where someone is in that time frame, I imagine it could absolutely traumatically impact their lives,” she added, noting the center provides treatment that would cost tens of thousands of dollars a year in some cases if paid for privately. Hoyt said the center is temporarily relocating its administrative offices to ensure its employees and vendors continue to be paid while they work from the field.

All but one of the fatal shooting victims’ bodies have been released to their respective families, says San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department spokesman Adam Cervantes. Days before killing 14 people at a holiday party, Syed Farook practiced with a rifle during one of several recent visits to a Southern California shooting range, authorities said.

Farook, a 28-year-old restaurant inspector born in the U.S. to a Pakistani family, and Malik, a 29-year-old immigrant from Pakistan, attacked the holiday luncheon around the same time Malik pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group on Facebook, authorities said. Mourners also gathered Monday at San Bernardino County’s Board of Supervisors building to mark the first day about 20,000 county employees returned to work since the shooting.

Newly released emergency radio transmissions from the fast-moving tragedy show that police identified Farook as a suspect almost immediately, even though witnesses reported that the attackers wore black ski masks. The two assault rifles used in the attack had been legally purchased by an old friend of Farook’s, Enrique Marquez, authorities said, but they are still trying to determine how the couple got the weapons. Marquez has not been charged with a crime. “We weren’t quite sure if it was an exercise the staff were throwing that they forgot to tell us about,” he said, “but we all reacted instinctively and went under our tables.” Pritchard reported from Los Angeles.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site