Chicago police leader: Fire officer who killed unarmed woman

24 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

‘Incredibly Poor Judgement': McCarthy Moves to Fire Officer Who Fatally Shot Unarmed Woman.

(CBS) – An off-duty Chicago police officer who shot into a crowd during a 2012 confrontation and killed Rekia Boyd, an unarmed woman, should be fired, Chicago Police Supt. Officer Servin violated those rules and he’s going to be held accountable for that.” McCarthy is now sending charges justifying Servin’s termination from the police force to the Chicago Police Board, according to the Sun-Times, less than a year after the police chief said Servin should never have been charged with involuntary manslaughter for 22-year-old Rekia Boyd’s death in the first place. A review board recommended he lose his job, but the decision wasn’t final. “I have come to the conclusion that officer Dante Servin showed incredibly poor judgment in his efforts to intervene in a low-level dispute while off-duty,” McCarthy said in a prepared statement Monday. “His actions tragically resulted in the death of an innocent young woman and an unthinkable loss for a Chicago family and community. The city was recently ordered by a court to release a dash cam video within the next two days that depicts another police shooting case; Officer Jason Van Dyke has been accused of fatally shooting a unarmed 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014.

A police review board has recommended a Chicago officer be fired for the fatal off-duty shooting of an unarmed 22-year-old woman. (Published Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2015) Boyd was shot while walking to a store with three friends. Those who have seen the video say it is incredibly disturbing, and anonymous sources are already telling news outlets that Van Dyke is going to face murder charges. Servin allegedly asked the group to quiet down and opened fire because he believed another person in the group was moving toward him with a gun, though police found only a cellphone. The details of Boyd’s shooting death have been documented in news reports and court and police documents since March 22, 2012, when an off-duty Servin got into an argument with a group of people in Douglas Park, said he saw a man pull a gun, and fired over his shoulder at the group, fatally striking Boyd in the head. In an unexpected twist, Servin was found not guilty in May after Cook County Judge Dennis Porter said prosecutors should have charged the officer with a more serious offense than involuntary manslaughter.

Servin was acquitted of involuntary manslaughter earlier this year, but he remains the subject of protests and anti-police violence rallies around Chicago. McCarthy’s announcement comes as his department was preparing to comply with a court order to release dashboard camera video of a different fatal encounter between a white police officer and an African-American individual. Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the superintendent, told USA TODAY that McCarthy completed his review of Servin’s actions on Monday and that the court-ordered release of the McDonald video did not weigh in the timing of the Servin announcement.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site