Connecticut man accused of killing parents appears in court

23 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

As murder case proceeds, feds drop gun charge against Navin.

Former Westporter Kyle Navin, accused of killing his parents — who owned a Westport trash-collection business — and burying them under a pile of leaves in a friend’s backyard in Weston, was clearly more relaxed Wednesday for his second appearance at state Superior Court in Bridgeport.BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Kyle Navin, who is charged with murder in the deaths of his parents from Easton, appeared in a Bridgeport courtroom Wednesday about whether a probable cause hearing would be held, according to the Connecticut Post.Federal gun charges have been dismissed against a Connecticut man also facing state charges in the murders of his mother and father is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday. Maybe it was the bright-orange jumpsuit he was wearing instead of the prison khakis, or the fact that he is now in state custody after federal prosecutors dropped their gun charge against him.

But as he stood there listening at Superior Court Judge Robert Devlin explained how the case was being continued until Jan. 20, Navin, 27, looked across the courtroom where a television camera was trained on him and — winked. Before Navin was arrested on the state murder charges, he was being held for a federal arrest on a separate weapons violation and he was locked up in federal prison. He previously characterized the documented evidence against Navin and Valiante as “voluminous.” Navin had initially been charged by federal authorities with the rarely used charge of possession of firearms by a drug-dependent person while state police prepared their murder case against him.

The bodies of Navin’s parents were found in the yard of a vacant home in neighboring Weston, which their son had visited before, the property owner told police. Defense attorney Eugene Riccio is representing Kyle Navin in one of the highest-profile cases in Connecticut in years and is concerned his client may have a difficult time getting a fair trial, according to CBS New York News. Jeffrey Navin, 56, was the president of J & J Refuse in Easton when he and his wife, Jeanette Navin, 55, a Weston Intermediate School library paraprofessional, disappeared from their Easton home Aug. 4.

A confidential witness later told investigators Kyle Navin had been buying $140 worth of heroin a day, and between $300 and $600 a day in the weeks prior. A few days before she vanished, his mother told a friend the couple planned to cut Kyle Navin out of their will, sell their trash-hauling business and leave their son without any financial support from the family, according to an affidavit from police. Months prior, in May, Kyle Navin allegedly discussed his intentions in text messages with his girlfriend, who has also been charged in connection with the case.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site