Connecticut seeks to limit gun access for people on watch lists

10 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Connecticut Gov. Malloy says he will prohibit terror suspects from buying guns in state: ‘This is common sense’.

The Democratic governor said that his order would make Connecticut the first state to do so and that state officials are working with the federal government to get access to the lists. “If you cannot fly due to being on a government watch list, you should not be able to purchase a firearm while on that watch list as well,” Malloy told reporters at the Capitol. “This is basic common sense. The American people get it.” The legislature and Malloy previously enacted gun limits that expanded the state’s assault weapons ban and barred the possession and sale of large-capacity ammunition magazines following the Dec. 14, 2012, shooting deaths of 20 children and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Dannel Malloy said Thursday he would sign an executive order directing state authorities to deny the purchase of firearms to people on federal watch lists. His comments come amid a passionate national debate over guns in America, with gun control activists citing the recent mass shootings in California and Colorado as evidence of the need for stricter regulation — and gun rights advocates pushing back just as hard.

The second-term Democrat informed President Obama of the proposed policy, which represents aggressive action addressing an issue Congress has ignored due to pressure from the NRA. On Sunday, President Obama, in a televised address to the nation on the threat of terrorism, called for federal regulations that would bar those on the federal no-fly list from buying guns. “What could possibly be the argument for allowing a terrorist suspect to buy a semiautomatic weapon?” Mr. State officials will determine the “appropriate lists” to be included, whether they are no-fly lists or “some kind of combination of those who should not have weapons,” Malloy said. Malloy agreed there can be mix-ups on those lists and said there will be “an appropriate appeal process” but he “would rather the appeal be after a denial” rather than before a firearm has been issued.

The Daily News has for 23 days sought an interview with NRA honcho Wayne LaPierre about his powerful group’s opposition to a bill that would keep guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site