Connecticut to Ban Gun Sales to Those on Federal Terrorism Lists

10 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Connecticut Gov. Malloy says he will prohibit terror suspects from buying guns in state: ‘This is common sense’.

Dannel Malloy said Thursday he would sign an executive order directing state authorities to deny the purchase of firearms to people on federal watch lists. Dannel Malloy (D) announced Thursday he intends to sign a “common sense” executive order prohibiting individuals on government watch lists from buying guns. “This is a moment to seize here in America,” Malloy said during a press conference. “It is incumbent upon leaders at all levels of government to protect its citizenry.” Pending approval from the federal government to access their databases, including the “no-fly” roster, Malloy said he will sign an order requiring those who apply for gun permits to be screened against government watch lists.

His comments come amid a passionate national debate over guns in America, with gun control activists citing the recent mass shootings in California and Colorado as evidence of the need for stricter regulation — and gun rights advocates pushing back just as hard. The second-term Democrat informed President Obama of the proposed policy, which represents aggressive action addressing an issue Congress has ignored due to pressure from the NRA. The American people get it.” The legislature and Malloy previously enacted gun limits that expanded the state’s assault weapons ban and barred the possession and sale of large-capacity ammunition magazines following the Dec. 14, 2012, shooting deaths of 20 children and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Malloy’s announcement comes days after President Barack Obama called on Congress to “close this loophole” following the shooting in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead. “That is insane. Malloy agreed there can be mix-ups on those lists and said there will be “an appropriate appeal process” but he “would rather the appeal be after a denial” rather than before a firearm has been issued.

The Daily News has for 23 days sought an interview with NRA honcho Wayne LaPierre about his powerful group’s opposition to a bill that would keep guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists. In April 2013, the state passed some of the toughest gun regulations in the nation, including requiring background checks for private gun sales, banning the sale of magazines with a capacity of more than ten rounds and expanding the state’s ban on assault weapons. “We can never undo the senseless tragedy that took place on Dec. 14 or those tragedies that play themselves out on a daily basis in our cities, but we can take action here in Connecticut and we can make Connecticut towns and cities safer, and this bill does that,” Malloy said upon signing the legislation.

State officials will determine the “appropriate lists” to be included, whether they are no-fly lists or “some kind of combination of those who should not have weapons,” Malloy said.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site