Deputy saves drowning kids in dark pond; the dad is arrested

23 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

‘I Just Killed Both of My Daughters’: Dad Makes Frantic 911 Call After Allegedly Trying to Drown Kids in North Carolina Lake.

DURHAM, N.C. – A North Carolina sheriff’s deputy says he heard wailing in the darkness and plunged into an apartment complex’s pond at night to rescue two young girls who, police say, had been thrown there to drown by their father.I started to go get help with, but instead they turned their back on me, the whole system and tried to take my kids [crying inaudible]… y’all take this and y’all left me.An off-duty North Carolina Durham County Sheriff’s Deputy, David Earp, is being hailed as a hero for his quick response to a bizarre incident that occurred at about 9 p.m. — The North Carolina man accused of trying to drown his two young daughters initially told residents of an apartment complex he believed his 7-year-old son had been kidnapped and needed help finding him.

Raleigh native Alan Tysheen Eugene Lassiter, 29, has been charged with three counts of attempted murder and is being held in jail on $2.25 million, Durham Police spokesman Willie Glenn tells PEOPLE. Sunday to report some kind of trouble. “I heard something about children, that they might possibly be in trouble,” Earp said in an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press. “And after I was informed that there were kids involved, instinct took over just to go out there and rescue them.” Earp, who lives around the corner from the pond, spotted the girls in the dark with his flashlight and saw a 5-year-old floating and crying.

Glenn says Durham’s dispatch center received a 911 call from an emotional Lassiter on Sunday evening, in which the suspect claimed, “I just killed both of my daughters.” In the 911 call, which was provided to PEOPLE, Lassiter sobbed and sounded disoriented. Earp and the resident then ran down to the pond and found three-year-old and five-year-old girls with their hands bound with shoelaces, close to drowning in darkness. Their seven-year-old brother was also thrown in the water, but was able to free himself and attempt to seek help. “One kid [was] above water, crying,” Deputy Earp stated, “And then I saw another one who was completely submerged in water.

Lassiter, who alternates between expletive-laden rage and distraught sobs throughout the call, blames officials for trying to take away his children as he dealt with a personal problem. So, I dropped some of my equipment and I immediately just ran into the water and grabbed both of them.” Earp stated that he performed CPR on the three-year-old for a “good 15 to 20 minutes” until more officers and paramedics could arrive. The 5-year veteran of the sheriff’s department said he and the arriving officers from the Durham police department performed cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on the 3-year-old for about 15 minutes until medical help arrived. As the deputy retrieved the girls, Lassiter was standing nearby smoking a cigarette, then became distraught, saying “what have I done?” and started crying, Scott said.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site