Ex-BPD commander: William Porter’s handling of Freddie Gray ‘reasonable’

11 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Baltimore Officer William Porter Takes Stand In Freddie Gray Case.

BALTIMORE (AP) — The latest on the trial of a Baltimore police officer who is charged with manslaughter in the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who was injured in the back of a police transport van (all times local).Police continue to say they have no problem with protests or demonstrations and they won’t monitor or follow them as long as they remain lawful, but violence and destruction will not be tolerated.

Herbert said she couldn’t immediately discern what was wrong with Gray and gave him medication to start his heart and to counteract a possible drug overdose. The Charlottesville, Virginia, police chief and a 35-year veteran of law enforcement has testified that Officer William Porter did almost all he could do on the day Freddie Gray was arrested and injured in Baltimore. Joined by community leaders Wednesday, the city cites new training and new state of the art riot equipment that has police prepared for whatever unfolds. “We view our role as a police department as one that keeps the peace during protests,” said Commissioner Kevin Davis, Baltimore City Police Department. With the first trial moving quicker than most expected, one group of protesters says they’re sending out an emergency email, putting demonstrators on standby for the verdict. “What we had during the unrest was nothing about justice.

Prosecutors say Porter was criminally negligent because he didn’t call a medic when Gray indicated he needed aid and he didn’t buckle Gray into a seat belt at the van’s fourth stop. While Porter said he never belted suspects, the officer also previously said he didn’t strap Gray in because his gun would have been too close to the suspect. But defense attorneys had learned over the weekend that Gray had told an officer in March he had injured his back or had a bad back, and that the officer noticed that Gray was sitting awkwardly in a chair.

Porter’s attorneys, who will begin calling their own witnesses to the stand in the coming days, have already begun to show their hand by trying to discredit the state’s witnesses and evidence. He says it must have occurred after Porter’s last interaction with Gray, at stop five when Gray was still able to speak, and before the prisoner was found unconscious at the last stop. On Friday Porter said in an interview with investigators that was played in Baltimore City Circuit Court that he passed along Gray’s request for help to the driver of the van and his superior. They’ve also tried to poke holes in the connection between Gray’s injury and Porter’s role in the 45-minute van ride that included six stops and concluded with Gray unresponsive on the wagon floor. Soriano dismissed the notion that Gray’s injuries could have been self-inflicted by beating his head against the van’s walls, saying they were too severe and noting that every muscle and ligament in Gray’s neck had been severed along with one of two major arteries feeding blood to his brain.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site