Ferguson Protests Resume Quietly After Shootings

13 Mar 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Ferguson Protests Resume Quietly After Shootings.

FERGUSON, Mo. Two policemen were shot early Thursday in Ferguson, Missouri, in what one official called an ambush, hours after the city’s police chief resigned in the wake of a Justice Department report that accused the department of racially biased policing. — Nearly 24 hours after two officers were shot during a protest outside the police station here, demonstrators returned Thursday night for a peaceful but boisterous rally, as they sought to deny any link to the violence and shift attention from the shooting to their calls for change in Ferguson’s police and court system. Billed as a candlelight vigil, the event attracted more media than community members, and the illumination came mostly from camera lights. “Whoever was the culprit last night, they did not come from this community,” Blackmon added. Louis County police department, was shot in the shoulder, while the other, from the nearby town of Webster Groves, was shot in the face, with the bullet lodging behind his ear.

Many questioned whether protesters would return to the street outside Police Headquarters — doing so would once again expose officers securing the building to danger — but the demonstration on Thursday night seemed to form as a kind of defiant answer. “What the coward who shot at the police officers last night did was to try to take us off message,” said Cat Daniels, an activist known as Mama Cat who handed crackers and cookies to protesters. “We refuse to be taken off message.” No one has been arrested in the shooting, and the police on Friday will spend a second day trying to piece together who might be responsible. But that person did fire from a residential street a little more than 100 yards from the line of cops who separated protesters from police headquarters. As a crowd formed in front of police headquarters Thursday night, reporters outnumbered protesters, much as they sometimes did last November following the announcement that Officer Darren Wilson, who killed Brown on August 9, would not be indicted. Anger over the killing of Michael Brown, the unarmed black teenager who was shot by a white Ferguson officer in August and whose death ignited unrest, remained as fierce as ever. He would not confirm media reports that two men and a woman were led away.’This is really an ambush’ “This is really an ambush, is what it is,” said Chief Jon Belmar of the St.

An exasperated Fox News reporter dealing with a live producer talking in his ear, sought such a person. “Do you understand the urgency of this?” he said to an aide. “We need somebody now.” “Last night, two policemen shot,” the reporter said. But Holmes also had a question about the media now swarming Ferguson, noting that in August it was the burning of a gas station and the clashes between police and residents—not Michael Brown’s death—that brought reporters and camera crews to the small and hitherto obscure Missouri city. He condemned the shooting that left two cops injured, but also said that absent the demonstrations that have rocked Ferguson for the last several months there probably wouldn’t be a single reporter in the city.

The report by the Justice Department criticized the Ferguson police department of bias against the city’s black majority, including arbitrary traffic stops, arrests and tickets. Besides the city manager, a municipal court judge resigned this week, while a city court clerk and two police officers were either dismissed or resigned after they were identified in the report of sending racist emails. Mayor James Knowles III also said Wednesday the city had reached a mutual separation agreement with Jackson that will pay Jackson one year of his nearly $96,000 annual salary and health coverage.

Compared with last year’s demonstrations, when a line would stretch across the length of the parking lot and remain there so long that officers would rotate in and out, the skirmish line this time was short and brief. It’s her way of expressing that emotion, that concern.” Lieutenant Lohr had won praise from many protesters last year for de-escalating tensions between law enforcement and the demonstrators. Throughout the night, he walked among the crowd with about 10 officers, asking protesters who were standing in the street to move onto the sidewalk to allow traffic to flow. He was yelled at, greeted politely, hugged, questioned, ignored. “I don’t think it’s fair to stereotype and say this was an act of the protesters,” he said of the shooting. “The majority of the people that are out here are here to have their voices heard.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Ferguson Protests Resume Quietly After Shootings".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site