Firefighters control blaze at townhouses, account for people

24 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

2 Injured, Multiple Townhouses Catch Fire After Gas Explosion in Columbia.

COLUMBIA, Md. (AP) — A gas worker was hurt and a person inside a Maryland home was rescued as a fire burned multiple townhouses, sending flames and smoke high above the three-story homes. A townhouse in Columbia exploded after a suspected gas leak Wednesday, triggering a three-alarm fire that spread to neighboring homes and injured two people, fire officials said.WASHINGTON — Two people are injured after a gas explosion completely leveled a townhouse and damaged several other homes in Columbia, Maryland Wednesday night.

Two people were injured Wednesday night in a fire that engulfed a Columbia townhouse and spread to several adjacent homes, Howard County fire officials said.According to a report from the Washington Post, the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services alerted residents via Twitter that a 911 call reported an explosion on the 12000 block of Sleepy Horse Lane on Wednesday night. At sundown, Ira Gershman was preparing to break fast with family at his cousin’s residence in Clary’s Forest for Yom Kippur when a relative smelled gas. Two people were transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries and officials say several residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation.

The family called a BGE employee, who came to investigate the leak. “After two minutes, he said to us, ‘Get everybody out of that house,’” said Gershman. Howard County Executive Allan Kittleman said he arrived to find a “pretty dramatic” scene but was glad to see how well it had been handled by emergency responders. “I’m very thankful that we have such well-trained firefighters and police,” he said. “I just want to tell anyone in Howard County that we are lucky to have them here.” “It’s one of the most traumatic things I’ve ever seen in my life. At least one house was completely destroyed, leaving a gap between trees, and only the shell of several other houses remained, their interiors burnt out.

The American Red Cross of the Greater Chesapeake Region was responding Wednesday night to provide assistance to any families who need help, a spokeswoman said.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site