Hostages recall chaos of Neenah shooting

10 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Cycle shop gives media tour; hostages describe Saturday’s ordeal.

MILWAUKEE — A man arrested after a hostage standoff at a Wisconsin motorcycle shop was accused Wednesday of firing a bullet into a woman’s bedroom wall after a night of drinking. Brian Flatoff, 45, appeared in Winnebago County court Wednesday afternoon to face charges including 2nd Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, Felon in Possession of a Firearm and Bail Jumping for an incident that preceded Saturday’s standoff.NEENAH – One of the surviving hostages from Saturday’s standoff and deadly shooting at Eagle Nation Cycles recounted Wednesday how he hit the floor and crawled behind a counter so he wouldn’t get hit by stray bullets during a firefight as police tried to storm the business to subdue the gunman, later identified as Brian T.NEENAH – Prosecutors and a judge received warnings about a gunman’s mental state and substance abuse issues before he held three people hostage Saturday in a Neenah motorcycle shop.

Neenah — The 45-year-old man accused of taking several people hostage at gunpoint inside a motorcycle shop on Saturday had been threatening a man associated with the shop for weeks. Funk’s gun was unholstered at the time he was shot at by police during Saturday’s hostage standoff in Neenah, a Winnebago County prosecutor said Wednesday. “I have seen enough evidence to confirm Mr. The district attorney said he expects to file additional charges early next week, potentially including Attempted 1st Degree Homicide, Holding Hostages and Felony Involvement in the Death of a Hostage. “We’re not even close to completing this investigation. The documents say Flatoff went to the woman’s house, and became very drunk, before he eventually fell asleep in the living room at around 7:00 Saturday morning.

A man who said he and Funk were among those taken hostage described a chaotic scene Wednesday afternoon in Neenah, about 100 miles northwest of Milwaukee. Police can use deadly force in situations where an officer “reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm,” according to state statute.

At that time I was assuming the SWAT team would come around the corner and secure me.” Neenah police said Saturday that they encountered gunfire in the building — one bullet struck an officer’s helmet — and retreated. I’m going to hire a company that’s going to clean it up, but it’s never going to be the same.” Hostage Ryan Moderson fought back tears and he described the ordeal, saying Brian Flatoff came into the shop armed with a gun and demanded the return of a motorcycle he claimed was his. On Tuesday, the Wisconsin Department of Justice, which is handling the investigation because it’s a shooting involving police, confirmed that Funk did have a gun on him. A criminal complaint released ahead of Flatoff’s court appearance Wednesday provides new information on what happened before the hostage situation in Neenah Dec. 5.

Dalton, who purchased Flatoff’s motorcycle to help him pay for his bond, wrote the letter to Gage on the advice of the district attorney’s office and its investigator. Dalton said he reported the threats to law enforcement and wrote to the judge in the drunken-driving case, noting Flatoff continued to drink alcohol and smoke marijuana. But the DOJ would provide no details about whether Funk, who his family says had a conceal-carry permit, had the gun in his hands. “Our investigation thus far has shown that the deceased, Michael Funk, was armed when fired upon by police,” DOJ spokeswoman Anne E.

Outagamie County Circuit Court Judge Michael Gage wrote back on Dec. 2, saying a request for return of the bond money could be considered at the next court hearing. Schwartz said in Tuesday’s statement. “However, DOJ has much work ahead of us and a prosecutor will make a final determination on whether there should be charges in the case.” She said he ran into the bedroom with a .45-calier pistol, crawled onto the bed with a pillow as if he was going to put it over her face, straddled her and shot into the wall above her head. The Neenah Police Department released a statement Thursday D is asking that videos, statements and other evidence connected to the case be made public as soon as possible.

He paid a $3,000 bond and gave Flatoff $1,500 in exchange for the bike. “He was actually somewhat of an acquaintance of mine, a friend of mine from years ago that helped me when I was down at one time, so I figured, ‘OK, I’ll try to find a way to help this guy out,'” Dalton said. Erato questioned why SWAT officers would have left the building, and abandoned the hostages, after one of their officers was hit in the ballistic helmet, by a bullet. The investigation is continuing. “The one thing we want more than anything else is the same thing that the public wants and that is the truth,” he said. “We’re not afraid of the truth coming out.” He was behind a locked door and communicating with a police dispatcher by phone while waiting for officers to respond. “I should’ve came up with my bow and took the guy out,” Erato said. “That’s what should have happened. That was a huge mistake.” “People need to defend themselves,” he said, “because if you’re going to wait on police, that’s not going to happen, and they may shoot you when you go out the door.” Moderson said the incident started about 8:30 a.m.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site