Man Gets 3 Years in Attempt to Sell Gold Bar Stolen in Heist | us news

Man Gets 3 Years in Attempt to Sell Gold Bar Stolen in Heist

23 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Florida man gets 3 years for trying to sell gold bar stolen in NC heist.

MIAMI (AP) – A 26-pound gold bar stolen in a still-unsolved North Carolina truck heist wound its way into the hands of a Miami pawn shop owner, and the man who tried to sell it there was sentenced Tuesday to more than three years in prison. Miguel Bover, 49, was not involved in the March 1 robbery of 275 pounds of gold bars worth $4.8 million from a truck along Interstate 95 in North Carolina. A judge handed that sentence Tuesday to Miguel Bover, who pleaded guilty in July to an attempted extortion charge after his cellphone was used to make threats when the sale fell through. But Bover admitted that he was approached weeks later by people he knew to sell one of the six gold bars they had, and he decided to enlist the Miami-area pawnbroker – identified in court documents only by the initials G.M.

Miami FBI spokesman Mike Leverock said the investigation is ongoing, but so far only Bover has been charged and only the one gold bar has been recovered. Bover, who has a previous fraud conviction, said he was tempted to get involved because he would be able to provide a college education for his son with money he was promised for the sale.

District Judge Beth Bloom said that wasn’t good enough. “It’s an excuse, a reason, but not a justification,” Bloom said in handing out the sentence. “You knew these messages involved threats of harm.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site