Man Gets 3 Years in Attempt to Sell Gold Bar Stolen in Heist

22 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Florida man gets 3 years for trying to sell gold bar stolen in NC heist.

MIAMI (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to more than three years in prison for his involvement in the attempted sale of a gold bar stolen in a $4.8 million North Carolina truck heist. A judge handed that sentence Tuesday to Miguel Bover, who pleaded guilty in July to an attempted extortion charge after his cellphone was used to make threats when the sale fell through.

Miguel Bover, 49, was not involved in the March 1 robbery of 275 pounds of gold bars worth $4.8 million from a truck along Interstate 95 in North Carolina. But Bover admitted that he was approached weeks later by people he knew to sell one of the six gold bars they had, and he decided to enlist the Miami-area pawnbroker — identified in court documents only by the initials G.M. Court papers say he agreed to help unidentified individuals sell at least one bar and sought help from a pawn shop owner. (TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries.

At first claiming in Spanish they were police officers, the men bound the hands of the driver and another employee with plastic ties, forced them into the woods and sped off with the gold in a white van. Miami FBI spokesman Mike Leverock said the investigation is ongoing, but so far only Bover has been charged and only the one gold bar has been recovered. Bover, who has a previous fraud conviction, said he was tempted to get involved because he would be able to provide a college education for his son with money he was promised for the sale. District Judge Beth Bloom said that wasn’t good enough. “It’s an excuse, a reason, but not a justification,” Bloom said in handing out the sentence. “You knew these messages involved threats of harm.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site