Man Who Tried to Kidnap Girl Gets at Least 6 Years in Prison

27 Oct 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Kidnapper sobs as he is sentenced to six years for trying to snatch a five-year-old girl from her bedroomA Utah man who pleaded guilty to trying to kidnap a young girl from her bedroom in an attempt thwarted by the child’s father was sentenced to a minimum of six years in jail on Monday. Troy Morley, 49, sneaked into a suburban Salt Lake City home in the early morning hours last fall and took the five-year-old girl, who has cerebral palsy, from her room. Official documents state the father, Aaron Edson, got out of bed after hearing noises and his stepdaughter’s voice, which he said was odd so early in the morning.

Morley will also be required to register for a sex offender, even though he did not assault the girl. “I have waited a whole year to tell the parents that I am extremely sorry for entering their home,” a sobbing Morley told the judge, adding that he has a daughter of his own. “I understand how you must feel… It shouldn’t have happened.” Morley told the court he had turned to drugs to cope with severe depression after a messy divorce in 2014 and that it had cost him everything — from his job to his home and his relationships. “Allowing drugs to take over your life is a very self-indulgent thing,” Barlow told Morley before she handed down the sentence. “It is not responsible for what you did, you’re responsible.” According to Morley’s defense attorney, Roger Kraft, Morley was driving between Nevada and his home on the night of Nov. 3, when he stopped at a Sandy hotel room. Morley told police he entered the house through an unlocked door, convinced the girl to come with him and tried to walk out the front door with her in his arms. She had so many nightmares that the family ended up moving out of the house. “It’s the hardest thing I had to go through as a mom and also for myself to find the strength to retain positive composure and kindness and to try and not lose myself in the what ifs and the negativity surrounding this horrible crime,” said mother Stephanie Edson. His lawyers say he wasn’t planning to hurt the child, but was high on methamphetamine and thought she could protect him from some kind of danger, according to court documents filed ahead of sentencing.

After the Edsons called police, officers set up a search perimeter, and bloodhounds led officers to the home of a woman who lived several blocks away — which Morley had entered through a dog door. The girls also didn’t want to keep any of her clothes, because she told her parents she saw Morley rifling through her possessions before her took her. The sound of a screen door shutting also remains frightening and Edson and her husband must often reassure their daughter that no one else will come into the home to take her again, her mother said. “It continues to haunt her to this day,” Stephanie Edson said, adding that she herself has needed counseling and struggles to sleep because she had been “so overwhelmed with the what-if’s and possible consequences of Morley’s actions.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site