Nashua, New Hampshire, closes schools after threat of violence

20 Jan 2016 | Author: | No comments yet »

All public schools in New Hampshire will be shut down on Monday due to a ‘specific threat’ less than a week after the hoax that closed West Coast schools.

‘We have received a detailed threat of violence to harm students and staff at both high schools,’ Superintendent Mark Conrad announced on the school district’s website Sunday. ‘The threat is specific to tomorrow [Monday].

We have been working closely with the Nashua Police Department, which is still working at this time to determine the credibility of the threat,’ Conrad said. New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan provided the following statement: ‘Public safety is any government’s most important responsibility – especially at our schools – and we are closely monitoring the situation in Nashua.’ A 21-year-old college drop-out has been issued a subpoena over the hoax terrorist email threats sent to schools in Los Angeles, New York and Dallas less than a week before the terror threat in New Hampshire.

Parents were alerted to the closure through the district’s phone alert system. “We’re going to do anything we need to do to assure parents, staff and students that they will be safe in our schools,” Nashua Police Lieutenant Kerry Baxter said. “For every parent who might say ‘why did you close,’ there will be other parents who say ‘you should have closed if there was a threat,’” Conrad said. Vincent Canfield, 21, will appear before New York prosecutors in connection with the messages which sparked fear on the East Coast and shut down every school in LA last week. More than 640,000 children were ordered to stay home on the West Coast at 7am on Tuesday amid fears of an attack on the nation’s second largest school district. FBI detectives and explosives experts descended on the 900 campuses in bullet-proof uniform after Los Angeles superintendent Ramon Cortines received an email describing plans to bomb at least three schools and attack students with assault rifles. However, New Yorkers – who were already two hours into the school day – carried on as normal and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton held a press conference to describe the ‘basic errors’ that he believed showed the threat to be a hoax.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site