New Freddie Gray Details Fill In His Journey With Baltimore Police

1 May 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Freddie Gray timeline: The events leading up to his death in Baltimore police custody.

Baltimore police have given their findings into the death of Freddie Gray to the state prosecutor a day earlier than the self-imposed deadline, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts announced Thursday. Eric Kowalczyk (koh-WAHL’-chek) says 201 people were arrested during the riots and 106 of them were subsequently released after 48 hours because specific charges couldn’t be filed. — Four Baltimore bicycle police officers begin chasing Freddie Gray after they make “eye contact” with him and another man at the intersection of W. The results of the investigation were sent to State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby, who will decide the next step, including whether to bring charges against any of the six officers who were involved in arresting and transporting Gray on April 12.

Gray died a week later of a severed spine, touching off days of protests and Monday night rioting, looting and mass arrests. “I understand the frustration. I understand the sense of urgency,” Batts told reporters, adding, “That is why we have finished it a day ahead of time.” “While we have and will continue to leverage the information received by the Department, we are not relying solely on their findings but rather the facts that we have gathered and verified. Gray was from the Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park neighborhood of Baltimore, which is in an area struggling with high unemployment, broken families, drugs and poverty. We ask for the public to remain patient and peaceful and to trust the process of the justice system,” she stated. “We will get justice for Freddie Gray, we will do it if we work together,” the mayor said after the police findings were sen to the prosecutor’s office. “I have wanted to serve the people of Baltimore since I was a child and did everything I could to put myself position to do so,” the mayor said of her political career working on municipal issues.

Deputy Commissioner Kevin Davis, who headed the investigative task force, said new video had been found showing the extra stop, but he did not explain what had happened there. Baltimore police refused to take any questions, saying the action is now in the prosecutor’s hands. “I know the state’s attorney is committed to justice,” Batts said. The mayor says she tried to reform the police department even before Gray’s death and the agency has made improvements, lowering the number of police shootings and excessive force complaints.

Police later announced that nearly 100 officers have been injured in the days of confrontation with 13 seriously enough to be placed on medical leave and 15 on light duty. According to the Washington Post, the prisoner sharing the police van told investigators that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” of the vehicle and believed that he “was intentionally trying to injure himself.” At the van’s last stop before arriving at police headquarters, officers picked up the second prisoner, who was placed in the vehicle but was separated from Gray by a metal barrier and could not see him. The Post quoted from what it said was a Baltimore police document that was included in an application for a search warrant, which is sealed by the court.

The Post said it was given the document under the condition that the prisoner not be named because the person who provided it feared for the inmate’s safety. Police in Ferguson, Missouri, are investigating burglaries of a discount store and a cellphone business near where protesters took to the streets for a second night. Louis Post-Dispatch ( ) says Wednesday night’s break-ins at a Family Dollar store and STL Cordless took place a night after looting, fires and gunfire broke out during demonstrations in the St. Several dozen people marched down Ferguson’s West Florissant Avenue on Wednesday night to protest the recent death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray while he was in Baltimore police custody.

The demonstrators also referenced last summer’s fatal shooting by a white Ferguson police officer of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was black and unarmed. A Ferguson Police Department spokesman says three people were shot during protests Tuesday night and four police cars were damaged by rocks and chunks of asphalt thrown by demonstrators. Dozens of police officers moved in with plastic handcuffs and began making arrests while officers with batons pushed the crowd back onto the sidewalk. Civic leaders declared victory when the intersection at North and Pennsylvania avenues had been cleared of all but a few stragglers 15 minutes after the beginning of Baltimore’s curfew. “We are very proud of what has happened here tonight.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site