Part of Newark airport evacuated after man enters secure hallway

31 Aug 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Man enters secure hallway at Newark Liberty Airport.

NEWARK, N.J. – A man who made his way into a secure hallway at Newark Liberty International Airport on Sunday, prompting police to evacuate part of an airport terminal, has been taken for a psychiatric evaluation, police said. A terminal at Newark Airport was evacuated after a man bypassed security then led officers on a chase past bewildered travelers Sunday night, authorities and witnesses said. “I was hanging out waiting for my flight having a glass of wine. Port Authority Police Department spokesman Joe Pentangelo said the man entered a secured area of Terminal C around 7 p.m. by entering a hallway through an exit door.

Joe Manzelli said he was waiting to pick up his wife near a security checkpoint at the airport when he heard someone yelling, “stop!” and then saw a man running into the terminal. Brittany Pilkington, 23, confessed to killing her three young sons over the last year to make her husband pay more attention to their daughter, authorities said Tuesday. The truth behind the serial killings unraveled after Pilkington calmly called 911 to report 3-month-old Noah had stopped breathing about 3 a.m., police said. Manzelli said to the AP he saw the man responsible for the security breach escorted back to the screening area, where he was “just rambling about being afraid of being shot and money”. Pilkington had made a similarly stoic call in April for 4-year-old Gavin and again in July 2014 for 3-month-old Niall from her home in Bellefontaine, about 60 miles northwest of Columbus. “In her mind, she was protecting her daughter from being not as loved as the boys were by their father,” Logan County prosecutor William Goslee told the Columbus Dispatch.

Their 43-year-old father, Joseph Pilkington, experienced a dad’s worst nightmare twice before — he had arrived home from work on the night shift to find Niall and Gavin unresponsive, police said. He frantically tried to revive Gavin to no avail as his wife meekly told 911, “Our son’s not breathing … he’s turning white.” Noah and Hailey were returned to their parents just this past week after the deaths of Gavin and Niall were not deemed suspicious by a medical examiner. Brittany Pilkington had initially told police she believed her children died from a genetic problem, but authorities began to doubt her story with the circumstances of Noah’s death, 10TV reported. “Why would you give them back after a little boy just died and when you’re in the middle of an investigation?” Brittany Pilkington’s uncle, Joe Skaggs, told the Dispatch outside his niece’s apartment.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site