Police: Accused babysitter said she smoked pot | us news

Police: Accused babysitter said she smoked pot

24 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

‘Psychotic’ babysitter held without bail for alleged tot kidnapping.

The 21-year-old Topsfield woman accused of abducting a toddler she had babysat before allegedly burning her with a cigarette, shaving her head and leaving her naked on the side of the road recently had a miscarriage and claimed to have been smoking pot the day the girl went missing, according to new court documents. A 21-year-old former babysitter accused of kidnapping a 2-year-old could barely stand up in court on Monday while doctors and attorneys called her “suicidal” and “psychotic” as she entered a not guilty plea. Abigail Hanna, who was arraigned today in Newburyport District Court on charges of kidnapping, assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (cigarette) and breaking and entering was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing. A court clinician testified Abigail Hanna of Topsfield is experiencing psychotic symptoms including audio and visual hallucinations, has expressed suicidal thoughts and is currently not competent to stand trial. Hanna was arrested Saturday in connection with the abduction of 2-year-old Lyndon Albers of Hamilton, who was reported missing by her parents around 7 a.m. — four hours after they last saw her, police said.

Lyndon’s disappearance sparked an intense land and air search before she was found 8 miles away on a road in Rowley several hours later by a couple in a car. Lyndon had a shaved head and a bruise the size of a softball on her head, according to good Samaritan Tom Crosby of Ipswich, who spotted the girl as he was driving his wife to work on Friday. The clinician, Tammy Howe, also said Hanna was “experiencing multiple psychotic symptoms” and had “a history of suicide attempts and memory lapses.” Hanna appeared dazed in court and was flanked by court officers who held her arms.

A newly released search warrant affadavit says she babysat the girl only once in Hamilton, and after an intensive search of the area last Friday police were led to Hanna’s Topsfield home where they say she repeatedly lied, and when they noticed her hands, “Abigail Hanna told us that she got dirty when she was trying to corral a stray cat while running through the woods.” “We have suffered a horrific ordeal. The court physician described Hanna as suffering from a “severe mental illness” and undergoing “multiple psychotic symptoms,” the Fox affiliate reported. McNeil wrote in a statement that was shown to the court: ‘At this time Abigail is addressing serious and potentially life-threatening issues. ‘These issues have clearly impacted her overall mental health.

According to an affidavit filed in support of a search warrant for Hanna’s home, the toddler was last heard over the monitor a little before 5 a.m., and the parents realized she was missing about 6:30 a.m. Though she initially said she forgot the password to her iPhone when police asked her to unlock the device, Hanna’s fiancee, Nathan Wolters, later revealed the code was 420 — the international code for the consumption of marijuana, police say.

We are extremely thankful for having the best family, friends and community supporting us through this difficult time.” “We are asking for privacy out of respect for the young ages of our children, and out of an understanding that as parents we need to be able to restore a sense of calm, comfort, and normalcy for the well being of our children.” “We are so thankful that (the girl) is improving and wish her and her family complete healing in every way. Following a third interview with police, investigators said Hanna tried to leave her house with “several bags,” one of which contained “baby/toddler clothing,” including a dirty pink jacket, which was seized as evidence. A tenant that lives with the family later told investigators she had “concern about Hanna,” whom she said had a “history of stealing things,” had “a miscarriage about one month prior” and would frequently leave the house between 1:30 and 4:30 a.m.

Officers visited her home in search of hair clippers, scissors, children’s clothes and footwear, but it is unclear if any of the items were discovered. Officers said her hands were “noticeably dirty.” Hanna told police she thought they were there to “kick her out of the house,” and initially denied knowing the toddler’s family. We ask that everyone respect the privacy of both families in this very difficult time.’ She grew up in a family home worth more than $1million, according to Zillow, before attending Gordon College – but a spokesman told the Boston Globe she left after just one semester.

She was usually very insightful when we had conversations, or in class.’ ‘I didn’t expect something so severe to happen,’ said the classmate. ‘Especially because it seemed like after high school she had more support from others, and was doing what she wanted to do…. She had recently shared an article titled ’18 Empowering Illustrations to Remind Everyone Who’s Really in Charge of Women’s Bodies’ on her Facebook page. The girl was reunited with her parents at Beverly Hospital, where officials said she was in “fair condition” before being transferred to Boston Children’s Hospital. The parents said they had been supported by relatives, friends and the town of Hamilton during the long hours their daughter was missing. “We are extremely grateful to the kind couple who found our daughter,’’ they said. On Facebook, Hanna indicates she’s a “counselor” and English lit student at Gordon College, a Christian liberal arts and sciences school in Wenham.

It’s unlikely the loving parents would let their children wander off, said June Nichols, who lives near the Albers clan. “Must have been someone that knew them, on the inside—knew where to go, how to do it,” Nichols told NECN. “I can’t even imagine them being associated with someone that would be that type of person.”

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site