Police: Kentucky fugitive killed in shootout

30 Oct 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Fugitive Rapist Floyd Ray Cook Shot, Killed by Kentucky Police.

BURKESVILLE, Ky. A fugitive accused of shooting a Tennessee police officer and firing at a Kentucky trooper was killed in a shootout with authorities early on Friday, ending a nearly weeklong manhunt. Floyd Ray Cook, 62, was pronounced dead at the scene in south-central Kentucky after being confronted by state troopers and a federal marshal who were searching an embankment, Kentucky state police public affairs officer Billy Gregory said. The manhunt had shuttered schools and spanned Kentucky and Tennessee, as federal agencies joined with local and state police to search for a man they considered armed and dangerous. No officers were injured.” The manhunt began Saturday afternoon when Cook shot a police officer in Tennessee, striking her bulletproof vest, but police say the chain of events began months earlier.

She told WTVF she was about to leave her brother’s house and was clicking her keys to unlock her car when she thought she spotted a shadow at the garage. “And there he stood, next to a post,” the woman recalled. Authorities had sent out public alerts during the week and schools in Cumberland County closed for three days out of fear that students might cross Cook’s path.

We are just grateful that no-one else was injured.” Cook was wanted on felony warrants out of Kentucky and for attempted murder of an officer after allegedly shooting Officer Ahscari Valencia once in the chest on Saturday in Tennessee. He was spotted at a gas station in White House, Tennessee on Thursday and when officers approached him, Cook rammed two police cruisers and narrowly missed an officer, who drew his gun and fired a shot at Cook’s vehicle. Two “dangerous” acquaintances of Cook, Katy McCarty, 35, and Troy Wayne, 50, were detained Wednesday night and being questioned following a chase and search in the woods. “I can speak entirely for the community that we are relieved the manhunt has finally come to an end,” said John Phelps Jr., Cumberland County judge/executive. “Everyone has been on edge, not knowing where he might be, not knowing where he was at. He seemed to be a very elusive character.” “It definitely should be notes that we’ve been getting information from all kinds of sources,” he told reporters.

He also has convictions for robbery, burglary, assault and riot, and is wanted in Hardin County on an indictment charging him with trafficking methamphetamine and tampering with evidence. For that crime, he was sentenced to life at Eddyville State Penitentiary, but was paroled at some point before Dec. 7, 1978, when he was arrested again for second degree assault.

On Thursday, June 16, 1988, Cook was one of eight inmates who escaped from Eddyville in what has been called, “The Great Escape of ’88.” Cook was apprehended near the prison, as were two others, while the remaining five escapees fled to Tennessee where they executed an elderly couple as part of their escape. Investigators had found a vehicle they believed related to Cook near White House, Tenn., but when they tried to approach it, the driver tried to flee, nearly hitting a U.S.

Several months ago, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office, making routine checks on the sex offenders in the county, discovered he was no longer living there, said Sheriff Jimmy Clements.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site