Police: Man shot acted as if he was armed

25 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Authorities Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting In Reisterstown.

Police say the man was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon in Reisterstown, a Baltimore suburb, during a confrontation at a pharmacy where he’d tried to obtain narcotic cough syrup with a forged prescription. On Thursday, police said video footage from nearby businesses shows the man aggressively approaching an officer before reaching around his back, then abruptly swinging his arm forward — at which point the officer fired. Baltimore County police said the man, who has not yet been publicly named, was shot three times in Reisterstown after “reaching around to the small of his back and abruptly whipping his hand around and pointing it toward the officer, as if with a weapon”. The pharmacist notified police and one officer responded promptly,” said Elise Armacost, Director of Office of Media and Communications, Public Safety. Police said in a statement that the shooting on Wednesday was recorded on surveillance footage from a nearby business, which shows that after falling to the ground he “refuses to comply and keeps reaching into his waistband, as if for a weapon”.

Police say they tried approaching the man in this parking lot but he led them on a foot chase across the street where confrontation broke out and shots were fired. Witnesses told detectives that they heard the officer repeatedly giving the suspect commands to “stop,” and that they heard the suspect shouting profanities at the officer. Thursday’s statement said: “A weapon was not found.” Reistertown is a suburb of Baltimore about 25 miles north-west of the city, where protests and riots broke out earlier this year following the death of Freddie Gray, 25, in police custody. The officer who shot him has been placed on administrative leave, according to police, who said the shooting would be investigated by his own department and reviewed by the Baltimore County district attorney.

An area pizza shop owner and resident saw eight medics trying to save the man after the shooting, he told the local newspaper. “It was horrible seeing that body,” said Jesse Issa, 53. “It’s a shame.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site