Police: Student Stabbed Inside Baltimore High School

25 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

A student was stabbed by another student inside Renaissance Academy high school in Baltimore shortly before noon on Tuesday, according to Baltimore Police..

The 17-year-old victim, a junior at the school, was in critical condition on Tuesday afternoon, “fighting for his life” in the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to T.J.At noon, officials responded to a reported stabbing on the third floor of Renaissance Academy High School, according to Baltimore Police spokesman T.J. Smith. “This is a crime scene at this point in time,” Smith said, speaking a press conference outside the school, located in the 1300 block of McCullogh Street. A motive and the nature of the relationship between the suspect and victim were unclear, he said, noting it was early in the investigation. “We don’t know all the details that surround why this one student entered the classroom and stabbed another student,” Smith said.

Smith said the victim was stabbed multiple times and is critical condition. “To facilitate the investigation, Renaissance Academy students were relocated to Douglass Memorial Church and students from Booker T. Students enrolled at Renaissance will go to an alternate facility on Wednesday, and Thornton said parents would be notified about the location by 6 p.m. Additional city officers were also called to the scene after the school announced an early dismissal following a lockdown, to ensure “that those kids left the area safely and without too much disruption,” said Det. City schools CEO Gregory Thornton said the Renaissance Academy would be closed on Wednesday, though students would be asked to attend classes at “an alternative site” to be determined and announced by Tuesday evening.

Thornton said such incidents of violence have a “traumatic impact on children,” and services will be provided to help the school’s students process the incident. In that incident, a staff member became suspicious that the student was carrying a weapon in the building and called school police, school officials said in a statement. “At no time was the weapon used to threaten anyone, police resolution of the situation was accomplished quickly, and the safety of staff and students was assured,” the statement said. Gray, 25, was arrested in West Baltimore — about 1.3 miles from the school — on April 12 and subsequently suffered a severe spinal cord injury in the back of a police transport van. His death a week later sparked citywide protests against police brutality, and his funeral on April 27 was followed by a period of intense rioting, looting and arson.

Days later, Thornton informed the school community that he had reversed the initial recommendation to close the school, as a result of the school’s commitment to improve in the next year. In September, a member of Frederick Douglass High School’s football team was charged with attempted murder in a brutal attack on a teammate, who was left hospitalized and facing surgery.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site