Prosecution Nears Finish in Baltimore Officer’s Trial

8 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Officer William Porter Trial: Freddie Gray Case.

Demonstrator Arthur Johnson carries a sign advocating justice for Freddie Gray on Monday, Dec. 7, 2015, outside the courthouse in Baltimore where the trial of Offcer William Porter enters its second week. (AP Photo/David Dishneau) (The Associated Press) BALTIMORE – Prosecutors in the trial of Baltimore Police Officer William Porter, an officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray, are nearing the end of their case. Prosecutors failed to disclose information that Freddie Gray told a police officer about a prior back injury the month before he was arrested in the incident that led to his death.

Prosecutors have painted Williams as an indifferent officer who didn’t call for a medic despite Gray’s indication he needed help, and whose failure to buckle Gray into a seatbelt amounts to criminal negligence. Judge Barry Williams declined Monday to declare a mistrial, as the defense requested, but ruled that the prosecution had committed a discovery violation and that the information could be introduced by Officer William G.

Porter’s attorneys, who will begin calling their own witnesses to the stand in the coming days, have already begun to show their hand by trying to discredit the state’s witnesses and evidence. Porter and another officer cradling his head. “His head was to the side, his eyes open and he was looking straight, but he wasn’t moving,” the paramedic, Angelique Herbert, told the jury. They’ve also tried to poke holes in the connection between Gray’s injury and Porter’s role in the 45-minute van ride that included six stops and concluded with Gray unresponsive on the wagon floor.

Before Williams’ surprise ruling, the day’s proceedings had been dominated by medical testimony about Gray’s injuries from the April incident — which included a broken neck and a severe spinal cord injury. The state medical examiner who performed Gray’s autopsy took the stand and stood by her finding that Gray’s death was the result of a homicide, even as Porter’s attorney suggested it was simply a “theory” that is unsupported by evidence. In questioning state’s witnesses, defense attorneys Gary Proctor and Joe Murtha focused Monday on the legitimacy of the autopsy findings that Gray probably suffered his spinal injury after getting up from the floor of the van where he was initially placed, with both his wrists and ankles shackled, and losing his balance. In his opening statement, defense attorney Gary Proctor described an arrest of Gray a few weeks before his April 12 encounter with the six officers charged in his arrest and death.

Morris Marc Soriano, an Illinois neurosurgeon brought in as an expert by the state, who agreed with a defense lawyer’s assertion that “time was of the essence” and that prompt medical attention could have saved Mr. She said her findings did represent a theory, but one based on her medical expertise and information from witnesses, including the testimony Porter gave to police investigators. Gray was hurt inside the van, which carried him through the streets of West Baltimore, making five stops before arriving at the Western District police station, where officers called paramedics to treat him. Gray’s death on April 19, which spawned riots here, critics of the Baltimore Police Department speculated that he may have been given a “rough ride” designed to hurt him. He questioned Allan on the National Association of Medical Examiners’ guidelines for determining the manner of death during an autopsy and whether her ruling was consistent with those guidelines.

A Baltimore Fire Department paramedic who treated Freddie Gray has testified that in her 17-year career, she has never refused a police call for an ambulance. Raising the idea of a “pre-existing condition,” Murtha asked the experts whether their testimony would change if they knew Gray had suffered a previous back injury. Allan also said that if the wagon driver, Goodson, had taken Gray to the hospital immediately after Porter had asked him to, she would not have ruled Gray’s death a homicide. Gray’s neck injury might have occurred when he tried to get up as the van was moving, perhaps as the vehicle accelerated quickly or made short stops.

Allan said she does not believe that is what Allen heard, because it would have been inconsistent with the injury occurring between the second and fourth stops. Rioting and looting that broke out on the day of his funeral led to the National Guard being brought into the city and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake instituting a weeklong nightly curfew. The case has received national attention in part because citizen video showed Gray screaming during his initial arrest, his feet dragging beneath him as he was placed in the van. Soriano testified against Baltimore police in 2010, at the civil trial of three officers accused of failing to seat-belt a detainee who suffered a serious neck injury and died.

In that case, officers were alleged to have given Dondi Johnson a “rough ride,” causing him to suffer a fracture of the C4 and C5 vertebrae — the same bones Soriano testified were damaged when Gray was injured. Allan also testified that a urine sample taken from Gray upon his initial admission to Maryland Shock Trauma Center tested positive for marijuana and opioids.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site