Prosecutors: Man Who Allegedly Shot Protesters Is Charged

30 Nov 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Fire Officials Talk Safety Concerns With Protesters Ahead Of Snowstorm.

MINNEAPOLIS — The latest in the investigation into the fatal shooting of a black man by Minneapolis police that has sparked more than two weeks of demonstrations (all times local): Twenty-three-year-old Allen Lawrence Scarsella, of Lakeville, is charged with one count of riot while armed with a dangerous weapon and five counts of assault with a dangerous weapon.MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials with the Minneapolis Fire Department say they met with Black Lives Matter protesters Sunday afternoon to talk about safety conditions at the 4th Precinct encampment. Twenty-seven-year-old Joseph Martin Backman of Eagan; 21-year-old Nathan Wayne Gustavsson of Hermantown; and 26-year-old Daniel Thomas Macey of Pine City each face a riot charge.

While media was blocked from the discussion, it appears nothing has changed outside the north side precinct, where protesters have been living since the Nov. 15 police shooting of Jamar Clark. The incident is being investigated, and one of the officers involved was recently named in a lawsuit for allegedly using excessive force during an arrest four years ago. Also Monday, prosecutors said they plan to announce charges against four men who were arrested in connection with a Nov. 23 shooting at the protest site that left five black men injured. One of five people who was shot and wounded last week outside a Minneapolis police station says he has no plans to stop demonstrating despite pleas from city leaders. They raised concerns about more violence after five protesters were shot there one week ago, and said it’s beginning to have a negative impact on the neighborhood and the entire city.

She also says barricades closing a portion of the street in front of the station are impeding access for emergency vehicles and snowplows. “The unintended effect is emergency vehicle traffic can’t go through, the bus can not go through. Over the weekend, Chief John Fruetel also talked with protesters about fire hazards and emergency access, with specific concerns about access to Plymouth Avenue. Protesters have said they will not leave until video of Clark’s shooting is released. “If Mayor Hodges is so concerned about safety, she should join us and call for the appointment of special prosecutor to investigate Jamar Clark’s murder to avoid using a broken grand jury system,” organizer Miski Noor said in a press statement. “Instead she’s using her political capital to attack peaceful protesters braving white supremacist attacks and freezing temperatures to demand justice for Jamar Clark.” (TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating the case, says handcuffs were found at the scene but it isn’t clear whether Clark was cuffed at the time of the shooting. The lawsuit alleges that Dustin Schwarze, who was working as a Richfield police officer, used a stun gun on a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over by Richfield officers in December 2011.

Two other officers and the city of Richfield also are named in the lawsuit, which gained media attention when it was moved from Hennepin County District Court to U.S. Daniel Kurtz, an attorney for Schwarze, said the plaintiff in the 2011 traffic stop had kicked an officer in the face, and the officers used reasonable force to arrest him.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site