Runaway Train in Massachusetts Investigated as Operator Error

11 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

A Driverless Train Carrying 50 People Blew Through 4 Stops After Being Tampered With.

BOSTON (AP) — A six-car train carrying about 50 passengers left a suburban Boston transit station without a driver Thursday and went through four stations without stopping, and investigators were focusing on “operator error” as the reason why. The trip began shortly after 6 a.m. at the Braintree station and ended about nine minutes later when power was cut to the rails, transportation officials said. Pollack said a full-service break and hand break are required to be engaged before a train goes into bypass mode, and that it was unclear if both had been engaged before the operator left the train.

No passengers were hurt, but a 51-year-old train operator suffered minor injuries after being brushed by a train at Braintree, according to MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo. Stephanie Pollack, the state’s transportation secretary, said the investigation was focusing on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority train’s operator, who had sought and received permission to move the train despite a signal problem. An initial investigation indicated that a safety device within the train’s cab may have been tampered with. “This train was tampered with, and it was tampered with by somebody who knew what they were doing,” Baker said during an interview on Boston Herald Radio. The train was taken out of service and brought to a maintenance facility in Boston, where an investigation is under way, according to Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the transit agency. Kristen Setera, a spokeswoman for the Boston office of the FBI, said in an email that the agency was aware of the incident and was in contact with transit police, but provided no other information.

Before doing so, they had to quickly clear other trains from the tracks to prevent a collision. “The people who were on the first car were trying to knock on the door of the conductor and that’s when we discovered that there was nobody there,” said Daly. Vazquez, 51, has been with the MBTA for more than 25 years. “Passenger safety is the highest priority for the MBTA and this highly troubling incident is under investigation by Transit Police detectives,” said MBTA General Manager Frank DePaola in a release.

The Federal Transit Administration was assisting with the probe, and Pollack said the National Transportation Safety Board had been contacted but had not yet decided whether to investigate. Passenger Fernanda Daly told WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano that when the lights went out on the train, riders knocked on the booth but found no conductor inside. “The whole train started going slow, the lights went off and everything just stopped down between Quincy and JFK and we stayed there for about 30 minutes,” the female passenger said. The Red Line, opened in 2004 and extended in 2013 to Northline Commons, handled 1.45 million of those trips in October, an 18.8 percent increase compared to October 2014.

Overall, the number of trips on local transit service – not counting park and ride use – increased 1.3 percent in October, compared to the same month in 2014.

Police: Student stabbed at Baltimore high school dies

20 Jan 2016 | Author: | No comments yet »

Police Identify Student Killed In City School Stabbing.

Baltimore police spokesman T.J. The teen had been in class on the third floor of the school building in the 1300 block of McCulloh Street when a sophomore went into the classroom and stabbed him at approximately noon on Tuesday, Nov. 24, police reported. Police said Sunday that investigators are collaborating with the state’s attorney’s office to file additional charges now that the victim has died. Crawford remains in police custody, officials reported. “It’s a tragedy anytime we have someone killed in an act of violence, even moreso when it’s a child.

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site