Support grows for Baltimore protests as demonstrations spread across the US

30 Apr 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT.

BALTIMORE (AP) — Thousands of people hit the streets in Baltimore and several other cities from Boston and New York to Indianapolis and Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to protest the death of a black man who died of spinal injuries after his arrest by Baltimore police and to demand reforms to police procedures.After arresting more than 200 people this week during the fierce riots in the city of Baltimore, police told Fox News Wednesday that they had to let half of them go.Thousands demonstrated in US East Coast cities demanding equal treatment for all by police, after a young African American died of injuries sustained in custody in Baltimore.Protests over the death in Baltimore police custody of Freddie Gray spread across the US overnight as the city at the centre of the storm used national guard troops to help maintain a curfew and authorities were forced into an apparent backdown after holding suspected rioters for days without charge.

Amid the bedlam of Monday’s unrest, it was difficult to document which officers had arrested which suspects and for precisely what reasons, a police spokesman said. The biggest show of people power was in Baltimore itself — epicenter of the latest racially tinged unrest to convulse the United States — where several thousand mostly young demonstrators paralyzed city blocks in a major rally through downtown to City Hall.

Baltimore on Monday had been the scene of widespread rioting and destruction but on Wednesday night the protests, while large, were mostly good-natured. After meeting with faith leaders and a lawyer for the Gray family, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said officials were working hard to make the investigation into Gray’s death transparent and keep the community informed. But as night fell, throngs of people spilled into the streets and broke off into smaller groups that snaked through a half-dozen Manhattan neighborhoods as police helicopters hovered overhead. “Freddie Gray, Michael Brown.

Shut it down, shut it down,” some of the demonstrators chanted, adding the name of the young, unarmed black man killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Mo., last year to that of Mr. Also on Wednesday, after a flurry of legal challenges, more than 100 people were freed from police custody, having been been held since Monday under what amounted to a suspension by Hogan of the writ of habeas corpus – the right to be released from an arrest made without lawful cause.

What appears to be a growing movement for change was focused on Baltimore, where a rally that started at the main train station included black and white demonstrators, some of them linking arms and chanting: “No justice, no peace! Gray. “Baltimore is everywhere.” Some protesters stopped traffic on Houston Street in Lower Manhattan while others blocked the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Natalie Finegar, the deputy district public defender in Baltimore City, told the Guardian that after 82 habeas corpus petitions were filed to the attorney general’s office, a decision was made to release those who were yet to have charges read against them. Another group marched uptown to Times Square and Hell’s Kitchen, where, later in the night, a police van filled with marchers who had been arrested sat idling in traffic. “At one point, they blocked off both sides of our march, and we thought they were going to arrest all of us,” said Marie Lewis, 28, who was marching in Midtown. Finegar said the decision to hold so many “without any respect for due process” could “further shake the confidence in the criminal justice system for those arrested”.

Protesters first rallied in Manhattan’s Union Square, where the chanted “no justice, no peace” and “hands up, don’t shoot,” a reference to the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri last year. MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Promising to fight what he deems “obscene levels” of income disparity and a campaign finance system that is a “real disgrace,” independent Vermont Sen. Boston organizers said they want “amnesty” for the some 300 protesters and rioters who have been arrested in Baltimore, as well as a lifting of the city curfew and state of emergency declaration.

The 2,000 National Guard personnel who have flooded Baltimore this week kept a low profile and only small knots of demonstrators remained on the streets when a curfew swept into effect for a second night from 10:00 pm (0200 GMT Thursday) to 5:00 am. The self-described “democratic socialist” enters the race as a robust liberal alternative to Hillary Rodham Clinton, and he pledged to do more than simply raise progressive issues or nudge the former secretary of state to the left in a campaign in which she is heavily favored. “People should not underestimate me,” Sanders said. “I’ve run outside of the two-party system, defeating Democrats and Republicans, taking on big-money candidates and, you know, I think the message that has resonated in Vermont is a message that can resonate all over this country.” As he has for months in prospective campaign stops in the early voting states, and throughout his political career, the former mayor of Burlington, Vermont, on Wednesday assailed an economic system that he said has devolved over the past 40 years and eradicated the nation’s middle class. And a specially extended deadline for holding people without charge was expiring, so people had to be let go, Captain Eric Kowalczyk said, according to the Sun.

A crowd gathered over the course of the afternoon in Union Square and marched north towards Harlem, chanting “Black lives matter!” and “Freddie Gray!”. KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — The first supplies of food aid began reaching remote, earthquake-shattered mountain villages in Nepal on Wednesday, while thousands clamored to board buses out of Kathmandu, either to check on rural relatives or for fear of spending yet another night in the damaged capital. She said many in the community had been under the mistaken belief the report would be made public Friday, stoking fears of another outburst of violence. But it reflected growing anger over bottlenecks that delayed much-needed relief four days after the powerful earthquake that killed more than 5,000 people, injured twice that many and left tens of thousands homeless. In Boston more than 1,000 protesters gathered in front of the police headquarters chanting: “Being black is not a crime, same story every time,” and “Every night and every day, join the fight for Freddie Gray!” Students linked arms and families peered out of low-income housing along Shawmut Avenue.

In August, a white policeman shot dead a black teenager in the St Louis suburb of Ferguson, triggering demonstrations in major US cities from Los Angeles to New York that were repeated when a grand jury declined to indict the officer. Helicopters finally brought food, temporary shelter and other aid to hamlets north of Kathmandu in the mountainous Gorkha District near the epicenter of Saturday’s 7.8-magnitude quake. Maryland State Governor Larry Hogan said he had been “very encouraged” by the prior 24 hours and said a semblance of normality was returning to Baltimore, a gritty city of 620,000 less than an hour’s drive from Washington.

Women greeted the delivery with repeated cries of “We are hungry!” While the death toll in the village of Gumda was low — only five people were killed and 20 were injured among 1,300 residents — most had lost their homes and desperately needed temporary shelter, along with the 40-kilogram (90-pound) sacks of rice that were delivered Wednesday. In Washington, there was a festive atmosphere as a well-organized march that peaked at about 1,000 ended at the White House, where protesters chanted and held signs reading, “Stop racist police terror.” Among the many startling images to emerge from Baltimore was that of an infuriated mother hitting her teenage son repeatedly for joining the demonstrations on Monday and dragging him away. On Wednesday the protests were large but a lot calmer At the intersection of North Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue in West Baltimore a small group of protesters congregated as the curfew loomed but gradually departed, leaving empty streets.

The military was flying in medical and intelligence teams to evaluate the former captives, many of whom were severely traumatized, said army spokesman Col. He said earlier that none of the schoolgirls kidnapped from the northeastern town of Chibok a year ago appeared to be among the 200 girls and 93 women rescued Tuesday. Paul Lewis and Jon Swaine in Baltimore, Kayla Epstein and Jana Kasperkevic in New York, Sarah Betancourt in Boston and Daniel Knowles contributed to this report

A counselor who has treated other women freed from Boko Haram captivity said some had become indoctrinated into believing the group’s Islamic extremist ideology, while others had established strong emotional attachments to militants they had been forced to marry. WASHINGTON (AP) — Taking U.S. and Russian missiles off high alert could keep a possible cyberattack from starting a nuclear war, a former commander of U.S. nuclear forces says, but neither country appears willing to increase the lead-time to prepare the weapons for launch. James Cartwright said in an interview that “de-alerting” nuclear arsenals could foil hackers by reducing the chance of firing a weapon in response to a false warning of attack.

Essentially adding a longer fuse can be done without eroding the weapons’ deterrent value, said Cartwright, who headed Strategic Command from 2004 to 2007 and was vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff before retiring in 2011. His remarks to a packed chamber a day after meeting President Barack Obama were warmly received by lawmakers. “My dear friends, on behalf of Japan and the Japanese people, I offer with profound respect my eternal condolences to the souls of all American people that were lost during World War II,” he said, prompting his audience to rise in applause.

Embassy in Saigon, hoping somehow to squeeze aboard one of the helicopters evacuating U.S. personnel and their associates in the face of an onslaught by North Vietnamese forces. As a result, potentially better plans for transport planes or cargo ships were scrapped — and the helicopters, with space for fewer refugees, were called in on April 29, 1975. By late afternoon, perhaps 10,000 desperate Vietnamese had converged on the embassy, many of them fearful of retaliation by the North Vietnamese for their cooperation with the U.S. during the long war. As the slugger pounded the ball deep onto Eutaw Street, just a few feet from where fans normally would have sprinted after a chance to catch a souvenir, there was almost nothing to hear.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site