The Latest: Company Demanded Return of Execution Drugs

30 Sep 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

3 murder victims’ families prepare for Alfredo Prieto’s execution.

Attorneys for a convicted serial killer facing the death penalty in Virginia moved Wednesday to halt the 49-year-old’s execution by challenging the state’s use of lethal injection drugs that it obtained from Texas. Raver still clearly remember where they were when they learned that their loved ones had been killed: Velma Jefferson was at work in Lawton, Okla., when a family friend unexpectedly appeared with news about her daughter. The El Salvador native was on death row in California for raping and murdering a 15-year-old girl when DNA evidence linked him to the 1988 slaying of a young couple in Virginia.

Tina Jefferson, a 24-year-old CIA financial analyst from Oklahoma, was living in Arlington when she was raped and shot to death behind an elementary school there in May 1988. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia to stay the execution until officials disclose more information about the pentobarbital it intends to use — including the name of the supplier, tests confirming its sterility and potency and documents showing that the drugs were properly handled, transported and stored. Texas allows prison officials to shield where they get execution drugs and Prieto’s attorneys say Virginia officials have not provided that information. The Associated Press filed a public records request for the names of the manufacturers and the suppliers of the drugs, but the documents show only that they were provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Texas prisons spokesman Jason Clark told AP last week that the three vials of pentobarbital given to Virginia were legally purchased from a compounding pharmacy, which he declined to name.

Prieto then returned to California, where he apparently killed five more people before being captured in September 1990 — a total of nine murders and four rapes in a two-year period, police in both states say. “If there ever was a human being for whom capital punishment makes sense,” Robert F. Horan Jr., the former Fairfax commonwealth’s attorney, said Tuesday, “it’s this guy.” After DNA unexpectedly connected Prieto to the unsolved Virginia killings, Horan decided in 2005 to put Prieto on trial in Fairfax even though he already had a death sentence in California. This lack of transparency prevents the courts from assessing the constitutionality of VDOC’s execution procedure.” Mylan, the manufacturer of the rocuronium bromide — another drug that will be used — said the company sent several letters to Virginia officials when it learned about the drug’s possible use and then demanded that the state return the product when it received no response. Spokeswoman Mila Devlin said in a statement that the company is contractually restricting its distributors from distributing Mylan products, including rocuronium bromide, for use in lethal injection or for any other use outside of the approved labeling or applicable standards of care.

I gave him a lot of answers.” If Prieto is executed Thursday at the Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt, Va., his state and federal appeals processes will have been completed in under five years. That does not seem like a short amount of time to the families of the three Northern Virginia victims, who endured three long trials between 2007 and 2010. As Prieto was being led out of the Fairfax courtroom for the last time, Veronica Raver hissed at him: “Hey, Prieto — does your mother know you rape dying dead girls?” Tina Jefferson’s father, Henry Jefferson, died in April 2007, weeks before Prieto’s first trial. He was a Vietnam veteran and a career soldier who never stopped pushing for an answer to his daughter’s death. “I broke down and started crying” after Arlington County police told him that Prieto had been identified through DNA, he told The Washington Post in 2005. “For a 62-year-old man, that’s something.” Tina was an honors student and a basketball player in high school who served as a resident assistant and president of her sorority at Oklahoma State University. She was last seen at a Giant grocery in Baileys Crossroads at 9:30 p.m. on May 10, 1988, although a witness saw her red Camaro in Arlington not long after that.

Their bodies were found in a lot off Hunter Mill Road on Dec. 6, 1988. “He was a gorgeous, wonderful, talented young man,” Fulton’s father, Warren Fulton Jr., told a jury in 2008. “Twenty-two years of work and sacrifice and hopes and dreams, and suddenly it’s over.” After the slayings of Jefferson, Raver and Fulton in 1988, Prieto moved to Manassas, not far from where Sermeno was found dead in September 1989.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site