This Morning from CBS News, August 10, 2015

10 Aug 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

County police chief: Man who opened fire on officers in Ferguson critically injured.

As events marking the anniversary of the shooting death of Michael Brown were winding down Sunday night, gunfire erupted in Ferguson, Mo., leaving a gunman in the hospital.A man is in a critical condition after a peaceful protest marking a year since a white police officer fatally shot unarmed black teenager Michael Brown turned violent.

A black man lies badly wounded with blood on his shirt after a police officer involved shooting in Ferguson, Missouri August 9, 2015. © Rick Wilking / Reuters The person shot in Ferguson by a police officer after a day of commemorating the first anniversary of Michael Brown’s death has been identified by his father as 18-year-old Tyrone Harris Jr., of St. The shooting, in which dozens of rounds were reportedly fired, began near the intersection of Ferguson Avenue and West Florissant Avenue, the epicenter of last summer’s standoffs between protesters and police.

Doves were released at the rally to end four-and-a-half minutes of silence, marking the amount of time the teenager was left on the street after he was shot. The Pulitzer prize-winning St Louis Dispatch reflected the sombre march by splashing “In This Together” across its front page, accompanied by an image of protesters filling the streets, with one symbolically brandishing an inverted US flag. Chief Jon Belmar said at a news conference that officers had been tracking the man, who they believed was armed, during a protest marking the death of Brown, the black, unarmed 18-year-old whose killing by a white Ferguson police officer touched off a national “Black Lives Matter” movement. Without formally naming Harris as the victim, he said that a man walked from the gunfight towards police, and fired on four plain-clothed officers sitting in an unmarked car. “They were criminals. Emphasising the deep feelings of distrust towards the police within the African American community following a string of fatal shootings of black men across the country, Harris father told the St Louis Post-Dispatch: “We think there’s a lot more to this than what’s being said.”

The shots sent protesters and reporters running for cover. “There is a small group of people out there that are intent on making sure that peace doesn’t prevail,” he said. “There are a lot of emotions. This is senseless.” Belmar described the individuals involved in the incident as “criminals” and distinguished them from protesters who are calling for positive changes in the community.

Andre Anderson, the acting head of Ferguson’s Police Department, added that several people were detained during the protests, but did not specify how many had been arrested. The gunfire occurred as Anderson was speaking to CNN about how the police, “just wanted to be as patient as possible.” As he talked, some 20 shots could clearly be heard in the background. Separately, police said a 17-year-old male has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon and one count of resisting arrest after he fired shots near the protesters late Sunday. Belmar added that 40 and 50 shots were fired in an exchange between the two groups, and the incident he described as “remarkable” lasted around 45 seconds. “They were criminals.

For the first time in three consecutive nights of demonstrations, some officers were dressed in riot gear, including bullet-proof vests and helmets with shields. One officer was treated for cuts after a rock was thrown at his face, and two officers were pepper-sprayed by protesters, county police spokesman Officer Shawn McGuire said in an email. A grand jury and the US Department of Justice refused to prosecute Wilson, which led to riots in Ferguson and across the US, with protesters angered in their belief that justice had not been served.

Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site