Two Yemenis face terror charges in US

20 Jan 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Two Yemeni Nationals Charged with Conspiring to Murder United States Nationals Abroad and Providing Material Support to Al-Qaeda.

An interesting development in the ongoing debate regarding the optimal disposition for captured al Qaeda members: The Justice Department has just announced that two al Qaeda members (both citizens of Yemen) were captured in Saudi Arabia (and have now been “lawfully expelled” to the United States to face a civilian criminal trial in the Eastern District of New York.Two Yemeni nationals were charged with conspiring to murder Americans abroad and providing material support to al Qaeda, according to a complaint and arrest warrant unsealed on Tuesday.Defendants Allegedly Conspired to Carry Out Armed Attacks Against United States Military Personnel and Facilitated the Entry of an American Citizen into Al-Qaeda Washington, DC—(ENEWSPF)—January 20, 2015.

The criminal complaint alleges that Saddiq Al-Abbadi and Ali Alvi both participated in attacks on U.S. soldiers, and provides an interesting account illustrating the fluidity of organizational affiliation within the world of al Qaeda as of a few years ago. Also noteworthy: This appears to be more of a HUMINT than a SIGINT case, in that the complaint makes clear that the evidence against the men rests largely (if not entirely) on statements from a cooperating witness (described as someone who previously pled guilty to offenses involving al Qaeda and who is now cooperating as part of an agreement with the government) and a confidential source, both of whom interacted with the defendants abroad. Both men traveled to the tribal regions of northwest Pakistan to train with and fight for Al Qaeda, the complaint says, and during that time helped a U.S. citizen join al Qaeda to fight troops in Afghanistan. In 2008, the two men went into Afghanistan and led a May battle during which an Army Ranger was killed and others were seriously wounded, according to the complaint. I want to thank the many agents, analysts, and prosecutors who are responsible for this matter.” “The arrest and prosecution of these two individuals, who allegedly directly supported the mission of a designated terrorist organization, is a major step in the international cooperation to combat terrorism,” said FBI Assistant Director in Charge McCabe. “On a daily basis, the FBI is faced with a complex threat environment that is always evolving and changing.

Through international partnerships, the FBI will continue to pursue those who provide support to terrorist groups and ensure that they are brought to justice.” If convicted, each defendant faces a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. Pravda, with assistance provided by Trial attorney Josh Parecki of the Justice Department’s Counterterrorism Section and by the Office of International Affairs.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Two Yemenis face terror charges in US".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site