Nasal congestion, also called stuffy nose, is a feeling of fullness in the nose or face. There also might be fluid running or dripping out of the nose or down the back of the throat.
Nasal congestion is often called rhinorrhea or rhinitis. But the terms are different. Rhinorrhea involves a thin, mostly clear fluid running from the nose. Rhinitis involves irritation and swelling inside the nose.
Rhinitis is the usual cause of nasal congestion.
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
March 02, 2023
- Rhinitis. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. https://www.enthealth.org/conditions/rhinitis/. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Allergic rhinitis. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 21st ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- Peden D. An overview of rhinitis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- Nasal congestion and rhinorrhea. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear-nose-and-throat-disorders/approach-to-the-patient-with-nasal-and-pharyngeal-symptoms/nasal-congestion-and-rhinorrhea. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- Sinusitis. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. https://www.aaaai.org/tools-for-the-public/conditions-library/allergies/sinusitis. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- Cold versus flu. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/coldflu.htm. Accessed Oct. 31, 2022.
- AskMayoExpert. Nonallergic rhinitis. Mayo Clinic; 2021.
- Pappas DE. The common cold in children: Clinical features and diagnosis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 1, 2022.
- Health Education and Content Services (Patient Education). The common cold. Mayo Clinic; 2020.